Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Tours

Today was supposed to be my first virtual campus visit using Zoom, but no one signed up. This is not unusual even in "real life," as I'm now calling pre-COVID days. Students would sign up and then not show up. Students who didn't sign up would show up. And sometimes, people just didn't sign up or show up. 

Just two shy of The Brady Bunch
Last week, my colleague and I did some testing on Zoom, and if you recall, it produced a hilarious five-second video worth watching on loop. Over the weekend, I set up a Zoom call with some friends who helped me test out some of the features available with a larger group, which was both fun and instructional for them and for me. I even got my semi-Luddite dad to do it on Sunday. Last night, I set up a Zoom meeting with my cugine in Maine who is a CPA to discuss my taxes—this was after doing a 15-minute exercise routine with my friend who is in lockdown. Tonight, I helped that same friend and her friend, both of whom are not digital natives, learn the basics of Zoom. One is considering starting a poetry circle for members of her retirement community, and the other is a recording secretary for a board that will be using Zoom for its regular meeting on Monday. As I've been learning, I've been teaching.
My pops on his first Zoom call

I've wondered in these pandemic days what I can do. Yes, I am staying at home and saving lives. But I'm not one of the brave ones working in healthcare, often putting their own lives at risk. For eight hours, I get paid to sit in front of a computer screen and answer questions about college applications or changes in state law or university requirements. Tonight, though, I realized that giving tours of videoconferencing software is something I can do and do well. That brought me a sense of satisfaction. Jokingly, I said to my exercise buddy that maybe I should apply for a job at Zoom.

So, no one showed up for my tours at work today, but that's ok. I've been giving plenty of tours in the last week and I hope to give more to those who need it.

Thanks for letting me pet you today, kitty.
Gas is $1.45 at the station on the corner. There are 2,547 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state of Ohio. Sixty-five have died. Governor DeWine shut down Hobby Lobby today. The neighborhood cat provided some much-needed affection today.

No comments: