Sunday, May 17, 2020

Butterfly Love from the Admiral and the Pearl

As the temperatures finally warm to more seasonable readings, I'm starting to get my cycling legs back on—and my sit bones used to being in the saddle for multiple days in a row. Butterflies are starting to catch up, too, after this cold and rainy spring, so that gives me something to look at while I cruise at thirteen miles per hour.

Carmen took this picture for me. Red Admirals rarely pose.
About a mile from home last night after a ride to Akron, I stopped by a friends' house. I've been feeling pretty tender lately and was craving some real human interaction where people don't freeze or look flattened. My friends have an expansive open but covered porch, and I knew that based on the time and temperature, I would most likely find them there having dinner. I could also smell the barbeque ribs from the street.

As I pulled into their yard and said hello, interrupting their meal, I choked back tears. Most anything can bring me to tears lately, like making eye contact. Carmen said they were just thinking of me as they had been watching a pair of Red Admirals flit around the yard for most of the day. They appeared for me, too, and were with me the entire time I sat on my bicycle in their yard, more than six feet from the porch, a picket fence further dividing us. One Red Admiral grazed my bike helmet several times, even landing there for a short time and then landing again on my bicycle mirror. As it flew by again and again, I could hear its wings opening and closing, a magnificent and rare sound that is like a little click but softer. I felt so loved at that moment, so graced by these delicate winged creatures that never fail to steal my heart or amaze me. Butterfly love. Human love. The essentials.

A pearl of grace
Today, at one of my customary stops along a bike trail I frequent, I noticed a little something moving on the rocks beneath me. "A skipper?" I thought to myself. No, a Pearl Crescent, my first of the season. Seeing a Pearl Crescent is a lot like seeing a robin; they're everywhere and after a while, not so special. I will probably see hundreds of them by the time the season winds down in the fall. I crouched down in my spandex shorts (sorry, world) and photographed it as it opened and closed its wings. It looked pretty fresh. A family stopped at the intersection where I was and asked if I was ok (that is a lovely thing to do, by the way). "Yes, there's a butterfly," I replied and pointed to the ground. "I look like I'm in distress, but I'm actually in ecstasy." And with that awkward statement, they were on their way and soon I followed, held by wonder, remembering again that grace often comes to me in two-legged or six-legged form, a phrase borrowed from a dear friend and mentor, now deceased. (I know some of you are partial to four-leggeds, and that's ok, too)

I'm ready to get my cycling legs and grace on once again.

No comments: